- CGDeals is a website that offers the best coupon codes and special deals on a variety of 3d assets and blender add-ons.
Good texture creation is essential to improve Blender. No matter how good the mesh is, if the texture expression is not good enough, the reality of the model will be lost.
This time, I will explain in detail the texture baking in blender that is often used in blender texture creation. In this article, I will introduce the workflow that I am practicing, so please refer to it.
What is Texture Baking?
Baking is the burning of textures. With blender bake you can:
- Transfer colors between materials
- Combine a model consisting of multiple materials into a single texture
- Save high poly detail to normal map
When bringing a model from blender to a game engine like Unity, it is necessary to keep the textures together as much as possible in order not to degrade the performance of the engine.
Cycles Rendering engine
After upgrading to Blender 3.4, the standard rendering engine became Eevee. Actually, Eevee doesn't have a baking function yet, and I can't find any items when I look for properties.
To use baking, the render engine must be changed back to Cycles.
Baking procedure summary
- Added Image Texture node to blender shader editor
- Create new image
- Save new images outside blender software.
- Select the node to bake to *Very important! !
- Select mode and bake
- If there is no problem with the result, save it.
- Repeat steps 2 through 5 for as many textures as you need
① Add an Image Texture node to the shader editor
- The file name is xxx (model name)_color or xxx_metallic
- no alpha
- 32bit float is not used
- Size is 2k (2048 x 2048)
③ Save new images immediately
④ Select the node to bake to
⑤ Select a mode and bake
- Diffuse ・・・Color
- Emit・・・Light emission
- Ambient Occlusion: Shadow (not shadow)
Tips around baking
Transcribe from another model
- Objects highlighted in orange are in the Selected state.
- Objects highlighted in yellow are Active.